Tuesday 10 August 2010

Recaps: My biggest regret

My biggest regret is therefore my biggest piece of advice.
If at all possible spend the night before your wedding with your husband to be. 

Do not spend it in a massive hotel room in a strange bed. 

O and I frequently spend time apart, he is away for his stupid sport or I go away with work or to spend time down south with my family. We’re used to being apart and quite frequently sleep better when we’ve got more room in the bed. 

All week I’d been questioning why we were spending the night apart but it is traditional, we’d paid for the hotel room that night, it is expected, etc. etc. 

Bollocks to them all. I couldn’t sleep for shit. Felt absolutely appalling all morning before the ceremony. Sickly sweet and soppy whatever you wish to call it but I was nauseous and on the brink of tears until I saw O at the other end of the aisle. Then I started to enjoy our day. 

Would I have felt better if it weren’t a strange bed, would I have felt the same if O and I had stayed together? There really isn’t anyway of knowing but if I were to have my time over I’d be snuggling up to my man whispering, "we’re getting married in the morning, sweet dreams". 

14 comments:

  1. aaaaw, you big soppy thing, I feel exaxctly the same but know my mum will go ape if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seconded- it might have prevnted 2 of the three hangovers at the top of the aisle. Me, hubby & minister!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I slept with mine the night before and I think it was one of the best decisions. We also drove the 1/2 hour to the ceremony together and then got dressed after we arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww such a bittersweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly how i felt. I kept thinking, we've been living together for two years, why am i sleeping on my own?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww :)

    I think now that it would add to the excitement so I'd rather stay apart. But luckily, if I change my mind he's in the same resort :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this made me a little weepy! so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regrets are the worst! At least you get to spend all the rest of the nights together now x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw sorry you didnt have a good night. Im still glad we spent the night apart, wouldnt have felt right for me any other way; but then I did end up sharing a room with 3 of my bridesmaids at my mums so was hardly on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I always bang on about how you don't have to follow traditions even I always assume the couple will spend the night before apart. But after reading your post and imagining myself in the same situation it seems I may have to evaluate. Or at least, as you say, if you're going to be apart you shouldn't be in a strange bed, but in familiar surroundings. I'd probably have brought a teddy bear or two with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh now I don't know what to do. Many thinks, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can understand how this would be no fun and think it's one of those things which each couple has to decide on. But I loved not spending the night together and the excitement I had to see him. Plus the getting ready would have been a real pain in our tiny flat if he was around too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Well, not yay for what you went through in your sleepless night but yay in that this is what I've been thinking – that I really don't want to do the separate night thing. I think the OH could be easily persuaded as he says he always he sleeps badly when I'm away (it's me that's usually away). Thanks (as always) for the brill advice (as always)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, so sorry you had a rubbish night (but glad you felt better eventually!).

    Very good advice. IB is traditional so he wants the night apart thing. I'm still debating whether to make my sisters boyfriend sleep on the couch so I can share a bed with her and not be alone.

    ReplyDelete

Your Spare Thoughts